Point of interest
Church of San Pietro in Cattedra
The parish church of San Pietro in Cattedra
The parish church of San Pietro in Cattedra, with its strikingly unusual façade embellished by a beautiful bronze portal, was built in 1753, on the remains of an earlier 17th-century church, but some documents testify to a Romanesque parish church standing there as early as 1145.
While the façade remains incomplete, lacking the marble and plaster finishes envisaged in the project, a massive 19th-century altarpiece inside a large nave grabs the attention. On the left there is a magnificent pipe organ (1812) by G.B. Sona, of the 18th-century Veneto-Gardesana school, fully restored and in perfect working condition. The 16th-century chapel of the Oratory stands in the small square on the left side of the church. Recently restored, it is the oldest sacred building in Valeggio.
Chiesa parrocchiale di San Pietro Apostolo, Vicolo Oratorio, Valeggio sul Mincio, VR, Italia