Point of interest
Church of St Valentine
The country’s most significant monument
Built around the 12th century, the Church of St Valentine is the most significant monument in the town. In the first half of the 15th century, it was already decorated with two splendid cycles of frescoes, one inside and the other outside, depicting the stories of St Valentine. The frescoes are the work of several painters completed between 1300 and the first decades of 1500 and can be attributed to the school of Altichieri, Giovanni Badile, Domenico and Francesco Morone. Inside there is a beautiful and well-preserved 16th-century Lamentation, a statue of St Valentine, St Peter and St Paul. Under the south porch, there is the 14th-century Crucifixion predating the cycles of frescoes.