Point of interest
The historic seat of city government
In Piazza Carlo Alberto you can admire the historic seat of the city government: the Palazzo Municipale. Its façade is characterised by a high entrance portal, set between mighty columns supporting the balcony, onto which the door to the vast council chamber opens. In perfect neoclassical style, the building of Valeggio’s town hall dates back to the second half of the 18th century, when the central square took the shape we know today.
Towards the end of the 18th century, having overcome the tragic consequences of a devastating plague and a disastrous war, the agriculture and craft activities had gone back to production, the town centre had been rebuilt and the Town Hall marked the rebirth of a destroyed town. During French rule (1805-1815) the palace underwent radical transformations. Only the main floor was used for the public while the ground floor was converted into houses and rooms for commercial and craft use: the first coffee shop in the town was opened here. From 1815, the Veneto was subject to the Austrian crown and the Town Hall became the seat of the Imperial Regia Deputazione Comunale until the annexation to the Kingdom of Italy in October 1866.
Comune di Valeggio sul Mincio, Piazza Carlo Alberto, Valeggio sul Mincio, VR, Italia