Point of interest
The Ponte dei Voltoni
Panoramic bridge over the Canale di Mezzo
The Ponte dei Voltoni recognisable by its characteristic five arches was built in 1556. The Venetian commissioner, Iacobo Gauro, whose tombstone on the facade of the house in Via Dante is still visible today, directed the building works immediately after the construction of the fortress. On leaving the bridge, passing under the arch nearest to the Piazza Ferdinando di Savoia, there was once a permanent fishing post there called ‘Pescarezzo’. Those fishing posts were characteristic of Peschiera del Garda, known also in the Roman times and mentioned in the writings of Pliny the Elder. There is only one of those posts remaining today, the surviving witness to Lake Garda’s history. Recently restored, as memory and museum, today it can be seen from the Lungolago Bonomi, or, thanks to the service of the guided boat tours. Today, the Ponte dei Voltoni is one of the most striking images of the city, characteristic of Peschiera del Garda.
Ponte dei Voltoni, Via Dante, Peschiera del Garda, VR, Italia